You bought an Apple iPhone 7. Great! But even an iPhone 7 needs some level of maintenance.
You may have gotten a “Low Storage on iPhone” warning or the iPhone is slow in responding. It might be time to clean its “brain”. For this, freeing up the memory is key.
As a first step to assess the amount of space you are using: Settings > General > Usage
If it is indeed due to reduced memory space on your iPhone, do the following:
- Clear RAM
- Restart your iPhone by holding onto the Power button to switch off and release it once the iPhone starts.
- Uninstall apps
- Settings > General > Usage > Manage Storage
- Select the relevant app
- Delete App
- You may also tap and hold the app on the iPhone home screen. The app icon will start shaking along with an “X” in the top left corner of the app. Tap it and click on “Delete” when prompted.
- Delete downloaded files (music, ibooks, videos, etc.) from iTunes. You should be able to download it with your Apple ID at a later date.
- Music app > Library > Songs > Tap and Hold song’s name > Delete from Library > Delete Song
- Videos app > Edit
- iBooks app > Select > Delete
- Clear Safari cache.
- Settings > Safari > Clear History and Website data
- Use online storage options such as iCloud, Google Drive, Dropbox, etc. This increases both the local space on your iPhone and also gives you the flexibility to access these files from anywhere, as long as you have an internet connection, your account information and a device. It is easier to share these files with whomsoever you wish to on the fly.
- Save only the HDR items.
- iPhone saves 3 photos at different exposure levels every click. Review your collection and clear the duplicates or unwanted images accordingly.
- Albums > Camera Roll > Select > Tap the relevant photos/ videos > Tap “Trash Can” > “Delete [selected] Photos” > (Under “Trash”) Select “Recently Deleted Items” and Delete
- You may also disable this automated option by: Settings > Photos & Cameras > Toggle “Keep Normal Photo” off
- Many social media apps such as Snapchat, Whatsapp save duplicates of the photos as well. So remember to delete these.
- Data is more affordable. So it is recommended that you opt to use apps such as Whatsapp, Hangout or Snapchat, if you are still depending on SMS. Your messages would be stored on an online space and not on your phone. Delete saved SMS text messages.
- Messages > Edit > Select relevant messages > Delete
- If you still wish to use SMS, at least set messages to auto delete after a fixed period of time.
- Settings > Messages > Delete all messages after 30 days or One Year
- Similarly delete voice messages.
- Phone > Voicemails > Edit > Select relevant messages > Delete
- Use apps, e.g. System Activity Monitor, Memory Mate Pro, Free RAM
- These will constantly provide you with reminders on duplicate items or when RAM is nearing its limit, etc.
Hope that will help you take care of your memory issue!